Friday, November 5, 2010

Photography and lip shimmers

I am over joyed about how fast my business is growing.  Like, BIG smiles.  I wanted to write a little about myself to the people who just started following me.  Get to know me, and write me back..  Tell me all about YOU!  I'm so serious.  Even if I've never talked to you before, I would love to know who you are and what you are about.  Find me on facebook http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pages/Clearwater-FL/Jessica-Charles-Photography/285105999887 or email me at Jessica@JessicaCharlesPhotography.com.  I can't wait to hear from you.

Well, I'll start off by saying I'm a Louisiana cajun girl.  I grew up all around Louisiana, and my mom's side of the family is straight up New Awlins!  (New Orleans just incase if you didn't catch the accent there.)  And speaking of accents, my dad's side of the family is straight up cajun.  I don't think I have either accent, but catch me while I'm hanging around either of them and I'll pick it up fast!
I moved to Florida after Hurricane Katrina, and I met my now husband, Bryan.  He was my rock through the most difficult part of my life up until that point.  My family is still back in Louisiana, and I get to go back about twice a year.  I miss home so much!

A lot of people ask me how I got started in photography, and they are shocked that I just opened up my business last January.  I've always LOVED photography.  In high school, I took a photography course as an elective..  failed miserably, but I believe it was because the teacher had it out for me.  But after that, I figured photography wasn't the career path for me.  So I tried other things like teaching 2 year olds in an Early Childhood Development Center.  FUN but oh so stressful and tiring.  Then I worked at Jenny Craig for 5 years.  When that came to the end of the road, I had no idea where the next step of my life was, and it was depressing!  I felt I couldn't contribute to our finances and the world all together!  I was working as a temp, going from job to job, trying to find a decent job, not being truly happy behind a desk.  I have this creative bug in me, I just didn't know how to express it.  I sang in high school, but wasn't about to become a singer.  I tried painting, but really couldn't get the hang of it.  I even scrapbooked for a while.  By this time Bryan and I were married, and I was obsessed with wedding pictures.  My pictures, other people's pictures.. and weddings in general.  I remember my photographer, Horatio from Studio Four Photography, and I remember how happy he was and how much he loved his job.  I began to express interest in getting started in wedding photography, and he was happy to help teach me some basics.
From there, I learned as much as I could, I began shooting for friends non stop, networking with other photographers and second shooting for them, posting on Craigslist and BLOGGING.  I can't tell you how important those things were for me getting started.  In less than a year, I have booked around 40 weddings.  I had no idea it was going to happen so fast.  When we were just talking about doing this, we guessed 5, 6.. maaaybe 7 weddings, if I'm lucky.  I am truly so blessed.. beyond blessed.  I have a fantastic husband who helps me, shoots with me, supports me... And I have the best job in the world.  What else can I ask for? 

Now you know a little of my backround.  Here's some more info about me.  You may see some repeats, if you've checked out my website.
  • I get really excited when I'm brainstorming for a shoot, or talking about a wedding.  I tend to say "Awesome" entirely too much.
  • I have a dog named Jazz, and a cat named Doo.  Jazz considers Doo as her own play toy, and chases her around the house.  Poor Doo.
  • I consider myself to be a bit of a shop-o-holic.  My husband thinks I go overboard, but he has noooo clue the damage I could do.
  • I shoot with a Nikon D300.  We have two.  I'm in the process talking my wonderful, gorgeous, sweetheart husband into us investing in a Nikon D3s.  It would be...  well, AWESOME!
  • I'm a fan of..  well, tv.  American Idol, So You Think You Can Dance, The Office, Community, Modern Family, Top Chef, Project Runway..  and my guiltest of pleasures, All My Children.  Don't laugh.
  • I'm addicted to Burt's Bees lip shimmer.  Have to have it with me, at all times.
  • I wear glasses, and would love to one day have Lasik surgery.  And then I will add sunglasses to my shop-o-holic list.
  • I have subscriptions to Rachel Ray and Better Homes and Gardens, but I haven't opened up any of the magazines in 6 months.
  • I love 90's music.  I'm going to be the old person who says "music now a days is garbage!", while I put in my Melissa Etheridge greatest hits cd.
So now it's YOUR turn.  Write me.  Tell me who you are and what you like.  Can't wait!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
© Jessica Charles Photography
CoffeeShop Designs